Sunday, July 30, 2017

The Chaos of July by Diane Burton

July has been a chaotic but delightful month. Last month, I wrote about how our lives were changing. As with most things, we've had the good and the bad. Our house, which is a nice size for two of us, expanded with the addition of our Arizona family--our son, daughter-in-law (5 months pregnant with twin boys), and Toddler Girl, along with a Great Dane and a Labrador Retriever. We haven't had a dog in over seven years. Amazing how loud they are when neighbors dare to walk down the street, or kids play or walk their own dogs. The dogs do help when solicitors come to the door by barking so loud I can't hear, and the solicitor stumbles away from the door.

Within a little over a week, our son and DIL went to work. How fortunate for them, their employers had places for them. DIL is able to work from home. She's taken over my office, which I don't use to write. They've hired a sitter to watch Toddler Girl part-time while Hubs and I fill in. Meanwhile, their house in AZ sold, and they searched for a house here. Last week, they found it. Hopefully, all will go well with the purchase and they'll be able to move in at the end of August. I'm so happy for them. Not that I want them to leave, but we all like our own space.

The good part has been the time with our granddaughter. She's a delight, and she's two. I saw this definition on Facebook. It's right on.

Toddler (n.)
Emotionally unstable pint-size dictator with the uncanny ability to know
 exactly how far to push you towards utter insanity before reverting to a lovable creature.

I could wax poetic about what it feels like when she crawls up on my lap and gives me a big smile . . . then reaches around me for my cell phone so she can look at pictures of herself and her cousins and play games her indulgent grandmother loaded on said phone. Her vocabulary increases daily. Besides "phone" her favorite word is "iPad" (which also has pictures and games). Another wonderful moment was when DIL asked if I wanted to go with her for an ultrasound. Would I? Wisely, she didn't get between me and the car. What. A. Thrill. Seeing those babies in real time is a miracle. The tech was wonderful as she pointed out a foot, a leg bone, a spine (which I kinda figured out), and the appendage confirming gender. Watching the heart beat! On both of them! I can't even begin to describe my feelings. Awe. Wonder. (Where's my Thesaurus when I need one?)

That all has been the good which overshadowed the bad. My computer. When we learned about the changes this summer, I resigned myself that writing would go on the back burner. Even so, I had commitments, like regular blog posts here, on Paranormal Romantics, and my own blog. I limped along most of the month with a laptop that worked then didn't, frequently. I took it to the Geek Squad, who rescued my files and pictures (huge thanks). But after three trips, they told me fixing it would cost more than a new computer. Now, I have a tentative budget for my writing business, and it didn't include a new laptop this year. Last Thursday, the computer wouldn't open at all. What could I do besides research computers on my iPad (when I can get it away from Toddler Girl)? I broke down, "borrowed" money from the family coffers, and got a new one. Thus ends the bad stuff. I hope.

On another note, I thought of Leah last Saturday as we traveled to Chicago for a niece's wedding. I loved her message to her son and thought of that message as our niece and her spouse said their vows and celebrated. At weddings, I think of our wedding ceremony forty-plus years ago and all we've gone through over the years. Like this month, we've had our good and our bad times. And I'm sure we'll have more over the next month and years. Accepting change, going with the flow, trying to keep everything on an even keel will help us through the summer. Writing will come again. The house will be quiet. And I'll miss the chaos of this summer.

Diane Burton combines her love of mystery, adventure, science fiction, and romance into writing romantic fiction. Besides the science fiction romance Switched and Outer Rim series, she is the author of One Red Shoe, a romantic suspense, and the Alex O’Hara PI mysteries. She blogs here on the 30th of each month, on Paranormal Romantics on the 13th, and on her own blog on Mondays.


11 comments:

Jannine Gallant said...

Sounds like you're making the best of your chaotic summer! Hopefully you'll get back to writing soon!

Rolynn Anderson said...

Diane, you have a house full of activity and love. Such heartwarming experiences to cuddle the toddler and see the baby-scans. Sorry about the computer...but you'll enjoy your new one after the stresses handed to you by the old one. A quieter house is just around the corner...for now enjoy the liveliness!

Brenda whiteside said...

The ups and downs but it's a wonderful life!

Alison Henderson said...

It sounds like you're coping wonderfully, Diane. Come September, you'll be shocked by the peace and quiet. In the meantime, hang in there!

Diane Burton said...

You all are so sweet and encouraging. When we first learned they were coming, we welcomed the family whole-heartedly. I've gotten to know my DIL so much better. My son is lucky he chose her. She's perfect for him. The time with TG is so precious. The other 2 grandkids love playing with her and she with them. She gets so excited when she knows she'll see them. This is why DIL wanted to move here, so the cousins could play together. It's noisy, chaotic, and delightful.

Leah St. James said...

It sounds like the best kind of chaos, Diane! How wonderful that both your son and DIL were able to find jobs, and sell their house in Arizona, then find one nearby. The stars seemed to have aligned perfectly! As I read your thoughts on TG and the special joy that relationship brings, I cross my fingers that some day I'll be so lucky. :-) With Son No. 2 jut married, and son No. 1 so far a confirmed bachelor, I think I have some time to wait! (Thanks so much for your mention of my message to my son, BTW.)

Diane Burton said...

Leah, your post was so inspirational. I hope you'll share pictures of the wedding. I waited a long time for Son to find the right girl and get married. I'm so glad he waited. Now we have a delightful granddaughter and twin boys on the way. A real blessing.

Margo Hoornstra said...

Sounds like you're getting the best of the best, Grsndma! Keep it up!

Margo Hoornstra said...

Geesh. Grandma! Darned iPhone ;-)

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Margo. I truly am. (PS I knew what you meant. LOL)

Alicia Dean said...

Ha, wow...that does sound chaotic. But wonderful too. I'm sure you'll miss them once they move out, but yes, it will be nice having your space again. I loved Leah's message, and your words were lovely. Your granddaughter sounds adorable! Hope you get back to the writing soon.